letters from a healing jouney

letters from a healing jouney

Monday, December 22, 2008

drawing in

The winter solstice was yesterday.  The nights are as long and the days are as short as they're going to be all year.  Starting today, every day will be a little bit longer than the last.

And I'm cold.

Around this time of year, every year, I start to pull in my sphere of influence.  I am in the house more often, or in my neighborhood, and spending more time with my most intimate friends and less time making new ones.  I work less, talk on the phone less (and post in my blog less too, right?).

I used to wonder, "Man, what is WRONG?" and now I realize, nothing.  If anything, I've begun to wonder why the heck we try as a society to continue to act as if nothing was happening.  For example, why would you go to work for eight hours a day when there are only nine hours of sunlight to soak up?  We humans are part of the world, part of this planet, and this planet just happens to be one that has seasons.  Times of growth and times of rest, time for bikerides and time for contemplation.  Within each one of the seasons there are times for each, but in my life I notice that certain seasons make for better times to focus on different activities and aspects of my life.  

Winter is down time for me this year.  Working less time.  Also, danceparty time (somewhat surprisingly), and live music time: getting close with the folks I'm close with.  Reminding myself to let people know I might not follow through on that plan we just made.  Eating lots of root vegetables.  That's my pattern this year, and honestly, winter caught me a little off guard this time around.  It took me several weeks (months??) to adjust from my late summer self.  Maybe by writing it down and sharing it with you I can make that mental note and remember to stock up for the winter and look forward to the long, cold days of rest and waiting for the sun to return.  

Because it's wonderful, winter, and if I'm here living it, I must be living it for a reason.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

interesting blog, I'll have to stop by to read more, thanks

Mary Ann said...

Set to music in 1952 by Pete Seeger in his song 'Turn!, Turn!, Turn!'
<< Ecclesiastes 3 >>
King James Bible

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.